Sunday, May 29, 2011

It's a race to the finish.....

I subscribe to a number of newsletters and blogs.  One of them, CrochetMe by Interweave, caught my eye the other day.  The dvd that was being promoted was by master crocheter Lily Chin, demonstrating Mosaic crochet.  I decided to watch the preview and just about dropped my teeth.  Lily Chin was talking to the camera, crocheting as she did so and she never looked down.  I've never seen anyone's hands move that fast with a crochet hook and yarn in them!  You have to watch Lily Chin's preview video .........see what I mean.  It's ridiculous!  Now, Lily is reported to be one of the fastest crocheters in the world and probably produces finished projects at a remarkable rate.  Good for her!

I would love to spit out baby blankets, scarves and all manner of crocheted items like there's no tomorrow.  However, I kinda like the process as much as having the finished product.  I can't imagine enjoying crochet if my body was moving that fast.  Besides, can you spell 'carpal tunnel'?!  I guess Lily has to do that because she has so many things to accomplish in the world of crochet and knit she doesn't have time to stop and smell the roses as it were.  Me, well I'll sacrifice a little speed in order to savor every last stitch that goes into my work......how about you?

PS - You know that baby blanket I'm working on?  Latest square count:  57 done, 5 in process!  Just re-figured what I need and that would be a total of 81 squares.  I should take some cues from Lily Chin if I want this in the mail in 2 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment